September 20, 2013

Reality Hurts

Let's get real. Being a girl who has decided to pursue a career path (or should I say an uneven, barely visible dirt road with skidding debris and sharp rocks) in fashion, publishing, and business, I've learnt a harsh truth:

There will always be people better than you.

From sitting in a room surrounded by classmates whose intelligence seems unmatched, to hearing about people my age (or younger) who are already living the career I've dreamt about for years, life ahead appears to be an uphill battle.  I sit quietly in my room wondering, "Am I really cut out for this?"

But if there's another thing I've learnt over the years, it's that I am not a pessimistic person.  If I were, I would never be in fashion.  Fashion is for the dreamer, the believer, the nerdy girl back in Grade 8 who knew she wanted to get into the industry, despite everything around her that made it seem like an impossible dream.

See, the corollary is this: There will always be people better than you, but you will always be better than them at something else.  In fact, let's get rid of this whole "better" business!  Success is defined differently for each and every one of us; success is personal.  I'm not saying it's easy - getting there requires headstrong self-confidence.  I would never be where I am now in fashion if I weren't confident in my own skills and abilities.  I've never had formal fashion training, and have only touched the tip of the iceberg in terms of experience, but as they say, dress for the job you want, not the one you have. The moment you become discouraged and let go is the moment your dream dies. No one can stomp down your aspirations but you; your own insecurity is the only thing you have to fear.

So while I may see a fellow 20-year-old travelling the world, witnessing the industry's finest fashion first hand, and parading through numerous high society events, there's nothing out there to say I won't be doing the exact same thing at 25.

Image Source: Wallhere

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand! When I was little all I wanted to be was a guy even when I was born a girl. Now that I am more comfortable with my self, I want to be a girl after all. Of course the sex change hinders that a bit, but hey, ain't no one telling me how to live my life! You and me till the end girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. work hard and be nice to people! you will succeed!

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your thoughts on this...this reminded me of myself way back years years ago...a girl who never had clothes of my own enough to wear but had a dream to dress everyday like my own runway. I worked hard for success and finally able to buy dresses and anything for fashion, fulfilled that dream...I know there are better dreams such as career and wealth as well, but this kind of dream of fashion which is a lot different and not very much serious is effortless and just adds joy to make my life complete....we should not be bothered by how better others are, I take it as, people in fashion like us will just consider each other as part of a unified group, no competition, but motivating, inspiring and supporting.

    ReplyDelete