October 6, 2010

Alexander McQueen Spring/Summer 2011 RTW

While the death of the great Alexander McQueen still weighs heavy on our hearts, every end signals a new beginning, and it was a new beginning for Sarah Burton.  This was the first collection that Burton had to tackle entirely on her own, but she seized the moment and turned it into something spectacular.  For Spring/Summer 2011, the McQueen aesthetic was kept alive and thriving.  However, what Burton offered to the collection was a different perspective: one of softness and of less severity.  Whereas McQueen loved controversial, eyebrow-raising shows, Burton kept the set simple and inviting.  The show started with signature McQueen elements (tail-coat, strong shoulders) that were softened by the tailoring and by the slicing of the shoulders.
Next, Burton touched on McQueen's ability to work with patterned brocade:
What followed is what I envision a modern Mother-Nature to wear.  Models were covered in leather leaves, organic-looking fabrics, printed dresses, feathers, and butterflies.
And just when you thought things couldn't get any better, they did.  Everything was put together into a sensational finale, and it prompted applause even before the show ended.
Having worked closely with McQueen for 15 years, Sarah Burton will not let us down.  I have the utmost confidence in her to continue the McQueen legacy and to bring the label into a new beginning.

Watch the entire show here.  It's worth your time.

Image Source: Style.com

6 comments:

  1. I like mc Queen's collections. lovely blog. hope you will become a follower of my blog too?
    xoxo

    http://theonlyfashionprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!
    http://goldielondon.blogspot.com/
    http://www.goldielondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.....i love the pieces.
    check out my blog and follow if you like***

    xoxo sugarkanke,
    http://sugarkanke.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a heavy crown to wear. This collection is doing its job, I personally enjoyed it.

    Read, Follow + Share: Human for Human's Sake

    ReplyDelete
  5. I start to thank you a lot for your comments on my blog (I'm very happy that someone read my blog with so much "attention" and spend tiume to comment my posts...realy thank!!!!)

    However I agree to what you wrote int his psot because I think that we should wait to tell that Sarah Burton will replace McQueen in a good way....But till now the presentation of the designer is very good and interesting (sorry for my english but I've some problem with it...)

    p.s.: I'll follow your blog...I hope that you'll do the same with mine :)

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a heavy crown! But Burton's doing a great job of holding it up.

    Thank you E! I love it when people comment properly on blogs, and so I always try to do the same. I've seen you all over the place (shoeblog, purseblog, sartorialist), so I decided to check out your blog. I actually think Burton will be good for the McQueen label, but I see her bringing a new flavour to it as well.

    ReplyDelete